Strange text lures man to Congleton flat where he’s tied up and held prisoner

A man was attacked and tied up after he was lured to a flat in Cheshire when he was sent a strange text.

The 28-year-old victim became concerned on September 15 when Scott Stokes sent him a concerning message at 12.30am – it read ‘you don’t need to break my legs I’m cutting my throat’.

Worried that Stokes might have harmed himself, the man went to visit his flat on West Street in Congleton at about 7.15am where he found the 26-year-old lying on the bed unharmed.

Read more of the top stories from across Cheshire here.

After they spoke, Alex Jones, 31, and Sarah Nixon, 40, came into the flat and they, with Stokes, started to attack the victim, who then had his hands tied together before he was put on the sofa.

The trio began to threaten him and told him told him to admit he had stolen Nixon’s car and had been dealing drugs.

Alex Jones, Sarah Nixon and Scott Stokes
Alex Jones, Sarah Nixon and Scott Stokes
(Image: Cheshire Constabulary)

The victim said he could give them money but convinced them to order him a taxi so he could collect it.

When they led him out of the flat, he managed to escape and got help from someone nearby who called the police.

Officers arrested Nixon at the scene, followed by Jones and Stokes, who were caught after they fled when the police were called.

All three of them later pleaded guilty to a charge of false imprisonment and on Friday (January 21), they were jailed for a combined total of more than five years.

•Alex Jones, aged 31, of Banky Fields, Congleton – 22 months in prison
•Sarah Nixon, aged 40 of Bradwell Grove, Congleton – 22 months in prison
•Scott Stokes, aged 26 of West Street, Congleton – 18 months in prison

Following the sentencing, Detective Constable Jamie Roberts, said: “This was an absolutely terrifying ordeal and I welcome the sentences handed to the defendants.

“The victim believed that Stokes was his friend went to the flat to make sure he was OK.

“Little did he know that he had been set up and was about to be ambushed and assaulted by three people who he trusted.

“Thankfully he was able to escape before he came to serious harm, although the outcome could have been far worse.”

Cheshire Live – Home